What are Fermented Foods?
It sounds like such a strange option for your pets, but fermented foods are some of the most nutritious choices that you can make to put into their bowl! Fermented foods, treats and toppers are foods that have gone through the fermentation process, a process that allows good bacteria to thrive while inhibiting the growth of any bad or unwanted bacteria. The fermentation process has been making foods safe and healthy for us for thousands of years!
Fermented Food Benefits
Fermented foods give benefits that regular kibble just cannot - because fermented foods are highly bio-available (which is the ability of a substance to be absorbed and used by the body). Because the fermentation process is able to leave behind the good bacteria, it is also able to create an environment where nutrients can thrive. Fermentation creates new vitamins, enzymes and organic acids (all great things!!) that are not present in non-fermented foods. Below are just a few of the amazing benefits of adding fermented foods to your pet's diet:
- Good bacteria is the key to a thriving gut - and since 84% of the immune system is in the gut, fermented foods can help keep your pet healthy
- Fermentation is the ultimate source of probiotics
- Fermentation supports a healthy immune function by increasing B-Vitamins, digestive enzymes, antioxidants and lactic that help fight off harmful bacteria.
- The good bacteria that inoculates the food also helps to pre-digest the fermented food, which sounds weird, we know! However, this makes the food easy to digest for your pet, putting less stress on their system, and makes it easier for them to absorb the available nutrients.
- It's natural! The fermentation process requires no artificial preservatives or additives to be safe and healthy.
Because so many things can impact your pet's stomach flora and gut health - like antibiotics, stress and illness, it's such a help to give them a strengthened immune system by boosting their tummies!
Our Favorite Fermented Foods
While you can go on a fermentation journey at home and work on fermenting your own foods for your pets (and yourself!) we do have some favorites available for sale at Lola & Penelope's. Answer's Pet Foods has been making fermented pet foods with a focus on sustainable and environmentally friendly practices. Whether you want to switch to an entirely fermented diet, or just want to look into adding fermented toppers like Goat's Milk or Fish Stock to your pet's diet, our staff is happy to help you pick the right path for your four legged friends.
Some of our favorite products:
- Answers Raw Fermented Goat's Milk
- Answers Raw Fermented Fish Stock
- Answers Raw Fermented Kefir
- Answers Raw Fermented Cheese Treats
- And More!
Other Tips and Info
Because a pet's digestive tract is so short, pets need to be fed fermented foods on a regular and consistent basis in order to keep good gut bacteria where it needs to be.
Roxanne Stone holds a master’s degree in Nutrition and Food Science and worked for more than 12 years in the human food industry before jumping to the pet food industry in 2010. Today, she works with Answers Pet Food as the VP of Research and Development and Procurement.
Stone provides a list of the health problems that can be helped with the addition of fermented foods to re balance the gut:
- IBS (colitis, Crohn’s disease)
- Leaky gut
- Heliobacter pylori (stomach ulcers)
- Lactose intolerance
- Tooth decay and gum disease
- Atopic dermatitis
- Yeast infections
- Post-surgical infections (like MRSA)
If you want to learn more about the benefits of adding fermented foods into your pets diet, call us at 314-863-5652, or come in to any of our locations. We would be happy to show you all of our available options, and show you just how easy it is to give your pets these delicious and nutritious options.